WILLIAMSPORT Md. (WUSA) -- Fire officials have determined the cause of a six-alarm fire that occurred at a liquor store and apartment building in Williamsport on Monday morning.
Officials say the cause for the fire was determined to be the result of a mechanical failure involving the oil burning furnace.
According to fire officials, a person living in a first floor apartment of the building at 110 N. Conococheague Street smelled smoke at approximately 7:18 a.m. She was able to escape the three-story building, which also houses the L&J discount liquor store, without injury. The other four apartments on the 2nd and 3rd floors are vacant.
The woman escaped her first floor apartment without injury and is being assisted by the American Red Cross.
Approximately 100 firefighters from Washington, Allegany, Frederick and Montgomery Counties are getting help from units from Morgan, WV and Berkley, WV fire departments with controlling the blaze.
Fire officials say there is approximately $500,000 worth of damage to the building, which was originally constructed in 1900.