Candle Sparked Fairfax County House Fire

7:38 AM, Dec 26, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WEST SPRINGFIELD, Va. (WUSA) -- A woman escaped from a Fairfax County house fire on Tuesday night through a second floor window.

Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department officials say firefighters were called to the home in the 7900 block of Lobelia Lane in West Springfield at approximately 10:25 p.m. on Tuesday.

Firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the front door and windows on the first floor of the two-story home. They were able to get the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes. 

Officials say the only person inside the home escaped from a second floor bedroom after she was alerted by an alarm monitoring company. She escaped without injury and was evaluated by a paramedic. She refused transport and declined Red Cross support when told she could not stay at the home.

The damage is estimated at $150,000, say officials.

Fire investigators have ruled the fire accidental, saying a large candle too close to combustibles on the first floor caused the fire.

View Larger Map

Most Watched Videos