Fire At Assisted Living Facility Started By Cutting Torch

10:20 AM, Sep 28, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

MCLEAN, Va. (WUSA) -- More than 50 residents and staff at an assisted living facility in McLean were evacuated Thursday after fire investigators say a construction worker using a cutting torch near a wall caused the fire. 

Firefighters arrived at the Arleigh Burke Pavilion in the Vinson Hall Retirement Community on Kirby Road at approximately 9:50 a.m. Fire officials say there was heavy smoke coming from the laundry room on the first floor of the two-story building. The smoke was coming from inside the walls. 

Firefighters were able to put out the fire and they placed multiple heavy duty fans in the building to ventilate it. 

Fire officials say part of the structure was under renovation, and there was construction near the laundry room area.  The fire was determined to be accidental.

There was approximately $100,000 worth of damage.

Residents and staff were back in the building by 11:30 a.m. No one was injured.

Most Watched Videos