Three hospitalized after CO leak at Falls Church apt building

5:42 AM, Jul 24, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
firefighters outside carbon monoxide incident at Falls Church apartment building on July 24

FALLS CHURCH, Va. (WUSA) -- Fire crews are currently searching for the source of a significant carbon monoxide leak in a Falls Church apartment building that has forced several residents from their homes and sent three patients to the hospital.

According to Dan Schmidt, spokesman for Fairfax County Fire and Rescue, medics were called to the 3-story garden apartment building in the 3600 block of Malibu Circle around 2:30 Wednesday morning.  Once on scene paramedics recognized patients with symptoms associated with carbon monoxide poisoning, prompting fire crews to check CO levels.  Schmidt says readings indicated elevated carbon monoxide levels present in the building and called for an immediate evacuation of all 11 units.

Three people were taken to a local hospital after reporting classic CO poising symptoms including headache, dizziness, and nausea.  Officials say one woman and one man were treated and then transported to INOVA Fairfax Hospital while one man was transported to Arlington Hospital, all for life-threatening injuries.

Firefighters have discovered the source of the leak to be a faulty furnace. 

Residents were allowed back inside after the building was ventilated at approximately 6 a.m.

Most Watched Videos