BURKE, Va. (WUSA9) -- Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department officials say a laptop computer power cord sparked a fire at a Burke townhouse on Monday morning.
A dog was rescued from the fire at approximately 7 a.m. in the 5500 block of MacDuff Court, according to officials. The dog was removed from a bedroom, and paramedics treated it for burns and smoke inhalation until animal control officers arrived at the scene, say officials. The dog was then taken to a veterinarian.
Officials say the family, an adult and four children, escaped the fire after smoke alarms sounded in the house. The family has been displaced and Red Cross is providing family members with support, according to officials.
Firefighters were able to quickly put out the fire, and there were no other injuries, say officials.
The fire did leave behind an estimated $45,000 worth of damage, acording to officials.