WEST SPRINGFIELD, Va. (WUSA) -- A woman escaped from a Fairfax County house fire on Tuesday night through a second floor window.
Fairfax Fire and Rescue Department officials say firefighters were called to the home in the 7900 block of Lobelia Lane in West Springfield at approximately 10:25 p.m. on Tuesday.
Firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the front door and windows on the first floor of the two-story home. They were able to get the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes.
Officials say the only person inside the home escaped from a second floor bedroom after she was alerted by an alarm monitoring company. She escaped without injury and was evaluated by a paramedic. She refused transport and declined Red Cross support when told she could not stay at the home.
The damage is estimated at $150,000, say officials.
Fire investigators have ruled the fire accidental, saying a large candle too close to combustibles on the first floor caused the fire.
View Larger Map