ALEXANDRIA, Va. (WUSA) -- A fire broke out in an Alexandria apartment building around three in the morning. Most people were sound asleep and it's a miracle no one was hurt.
That was the time 16-year-old Brandon Pressley was getting home from the movies. He heard someone screaming.
"He said look up and when I looked up I saw the building smoking," he said.
Instead of staying away from the flames, Brandon ran into the burning building.
"I went in the building and pulled the fire alarm and started banging on everybody's doors and said wake up, wake up, wake up," he said.
It took 60 firefighters 40 minutes to put out flames. But they didn't even know there was a fire until Feicie Koujbleou called 911.
"I was sleeping but then I started coughing," she said.
First, she got her 4 year old daughter to safety. Then she started knocking on doors, too.
By the time the fire was out there was more than $100,000 worth of damage. A contractor says it could cost upwards of $600,000 to repair.
Brandon is being called a hero. He says he's thankful that he was there at the right time.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue says the building is owned by the county. The fire was caused by an electrical malfunction.