WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- A gas line broke underground in the 1200 block of U Street NW on Friday morning, reported the DC Firefighters Association. Reuben Rodriguez, spokesperson for Washington Gas, said that someone was installing a sign and struck a 2-inch gas line. Rodriguez didn't know if it was the city or a third party contractor. A tweet from @IAFF36 said firefighters evacuated multiple buildings at approximately 9:30 a.m. They also monitored gas meters. About an hour after the incident was reported, the union tweeted that the gas company had fixed the gas leak.