LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 6pm    Watch
 

Strikes Shut Down Egyptian Port City For 2nd Day

7:05 AM, Feb 18, 2013   |    comments
Egyptians rally on February 17, 2013, closing down government offices and factories in the Suez Canal city of Port Said, as they demand justice for dozens of people killed in clashes with police in late January after a court sentenced 21 soccer fans from the city to death over a deadly football riot last year (STR/AFP/Getty Images)
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
  • FILED UNDER

PORT SAID, Egypt (AP) - Hundreds of anti-government protesters have blocked central roads and work was halted for a second day in Egypt's restive coastal city of Port Said, the site of an unprecedented soccer massacre in 2012.

The protesters are angry over the killing of some 50 people during demonstrations last month against the death sentences for 21 people, mostly fans of the city's soccer club Al-Masry, for their part in the Feb. 1, 2012, stadium violence that killed 74.

As part of a partial general strike under way in Port Said, local government employees, port customs and small businesses were shut on Monday. The city's army-guarded university and banks remained open.

Port Said sits on the northern tip of the Suez Canal but the strikes have not disrupted shipping in the international waterway.

Most Watched Videos