Jessica Ridgeway Remains Found At Home of Austin Reed Sigg

8:26 AM, Oct 25, 2012   |    comments
(Photo: Barry Gutierrez AP)
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WESTMINSTER, Colo. (USA TODAY) - Police say they found partial remains of 10-year-old Jessica Ridgeway during a search of the home of a 17-year-old suspect who is under arrest, KUSA-TV reports.

Police searched the home of Austin Reed Sigg on Wednesday, following his arrest Tuesday afternoon.

Investigators told The Denver Post that they found "DNA remnants" in the crawl space of Sigg's home.

Sigg, who will make his first court appearance today at 8 a.m. (10 a.m. ET), lives about a mile and a half from Jessica's home in Westminster.

Jessica disappeared while on her way to school on Oct. 5. Her body, which was described by police as "not intact," was found five days later in an area of abandoned mines.

Police says they interviewed Sigg, a student at Arapahoe Community College, for about six hours and that the provided specific details about the crime that only someone intimately involved would know, KUSA-TV's Blair Shiff reports.

Acquaintances say Sigg was interested in mortuary science and forensic science, often wore black and hung out in the high school cafeteria's "goth corner."

A former girlfriend tells KUSA-TV's 9NEWS that she finds it difficult to come to terms with what Sigg is accused of.

"The Austin I knew would never have done anything like that," she tells KUSA. "He was my first boyfriend. He was my first kiss. He was my first date."

The Post quotes longtime friends of the suspect as describing him as sweet and "very smart."

Sigg, if convicted of murder, would not face the death penalty because of his age.

KCTV reported that this legal reality disappoints Jessica's paternal family, who live in Independence, Mo.

"I think it's all I've got within me not to just want to just burn him, and I mean burn him," Jessica's great-grandmother, Donna Moss, told KCTV Wednesday evening. "I meant literally lit him on fire. Send him to hell in a blaze of glory."

Police in the Denver suburb of Westminster said they took Sigg into custody on Tuesday night after receiving a phone call, apparently from his mother, that led them to Sigg.

Reached by phone, Sigg's mother told The Associated Press he turned himself in.

"I made the phone call, and he turned himself in. That's all I have to say," said Mindy Sigg, before she broke down in tears and hung up.

Authorities said Sigg also will face charges in the May 28 attempted kidnapping of a 22-year-old runner at the Ketner Lake Open Space.

Police have said the two crimes are connected but haven't elaborated.

In the May case, a woman fought off a stranger who grabbed her from behind and put a rag that smelled of chemicals over her mouth, authorities said. Police haven't determined if the substance on the rag was meant to subdue
the woman.

Most Watched Videos