GERMANTOWN, Md. (WUSA9) -- Friday, Montgomery County firefighters responded to Roberto Clemente Middle School in Germantown for a hazmat response. Hazmat crews later determined an odor that sickened students and teachers was the result of pepper spray activated in the building.
Officials say eight to 10 students reported feeling sick and having breathing difficulty at the school at 18808 Waring Station Road. A female teacher also reported having respiratory difficulty, say officials. Five students and one adult were transported to the hospital for checkups, reports Montgomery County Fire spokesperson Scott Graham.
We are told there was an odor in the lower level of the school. Hazmat crews arrived to determine the origin of the odor. They later cleared the scene.
A Montgomery County Public Schools spokesperson said some students were being transported to Seneca Valley High School, but at 12:30 p.m. we were told hazmat cleared the scene and students were allowed to re-enter the school.