Generator Sparked Fire At Md. Home Without Electricity

10:36 AM, May 23, 2013   |    comments
  • (courtesy: Assistant Fire Chief Steve White)
  • (courtesy: Assistant Fire Chief Steve White)
    
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

FORT WASHINGTON, Md. (WUSA9) -- A family was displaced after an accidental fire at their Fort Washington home on Wednesday night.

Prince George's County Fire officials say that firefighters were alerted to a house fire in the 8900 block of Loughran Terrace at approximately 10 p.m.  Firefighters fire showing from the back of the three level home. Officials say the fire touched all three levels before being brought under control. Additional firefighters and equipment were brought to the scene to control the fire, say officials.

Officials say for some reason the house didn't have power so the family was using a gasoline powered generator outside under a upper level deck. According to officials, the generator ignited nearby combustibles, then the fire spread up the exterior of the house before entering the home.

No one was injured in the fire but it left behind approximately $100,000 worth of damage, say police.

The family was assisted by the County Citizen Services Unit, say officials.

Most Watched Videos