LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 6am    Watch
 

Apt. Fire Displaces 9 UMD Students in College Park, Md.

11:32 PM, Dec 10, 2012   |    comments
Fire in an offcampus apartment building displaced 9 UMD students Monday Night. (Photo by Manny Fantis)
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

COLLEGE PARK, Md. (WUSA) - A fire in an off campus apartment near the University of Maryland in College Park displaced nine students Monday night, according to a spokesman for the Prince George's County Fire Dept.

Fire crews, alerted at about 6:50 p.m., were quickly able to extinguish the firee in an apartment in the 4200 block of Knox Road.

Firefighters from the College Park Fire/EMS Station 812 found smoke coming from the building. They found and extinguished the fire in the kitchen of a second floor unit.

No injuries were reported but nine students from two apartments were displaced.

The fire appears to have started from an unattended candle, fire officials reported. The candle had been lit earlier as part of a Hanukkah Menorah.

The residents stated they stepped out of the building  for only a moment, then returned and found the apartment on fire.

Loss estimates are still being calculated.

Most Watched Videos