LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 11pm    Watch
 

Fire At Calvert County Dialysis Center Caused By Cigarette Butt

3:49 PM, Jul 19, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

PRINCE FREDERICK, Md. (WUSA) -- Maryland state fire marshals say that  a fire at a dialysis center in Prince Frederick was sparked by a cigarette butt "carelessly discarded" in a trash can.  The fire at 225 W. Dares Beach Road was called in at 1:44 p.m., say fire officials. The fire was discovered by employees.

No one was injured in the fire but there is an estimated total of $200,000 in damage loss.

Officials say smoke detectors were in the building but were not working. There was also no fire alarm or sprinkler present.

Forty two firefighters worked to get the fire under control in 20 minutes.

According to officials, the cigarette butt was thrown into a trash can that was against a small storage container at the back of the building. It quickly ignited and the fire spread up the side of the building and roof. Medical equipment was damaged and the business was displaced. 

All dialysis patient services have been relocated to area centers.


Most Watched Videos