RESTON, Va. (WUSA9) -- An adult and two children were able to escape a townhouse unharmed when a fire broke out in the 11400 block of Summer House Court on Tuesday afternoon. They are now looking for a new home.
Fire officials tell us that the smoke alarms did not activate inside the house. Firefighters arrived on the scene at 1:25 p.m. to see heavy smoke and fire coming from the garage and first floor living area of the townhouse. They were able to get the bulk of the fire under control in approximately 15 minutes, according to officials.
Officials say that there was extensive damage to the first and second floor and some minor damage to the top floor. The estimated damage total is $260,000.
Officials believe a candle that was knocked over in the garage caused the fire.