Maryland state delegate charged with DWI

4:14 PM, Aug 20, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Don Dwyer

(WUSA9) -- A Maryland state delegate is facing calls for his resignation after he was arrested and charged with a DWI early this morning.

This is the same delegate who recently pled guilty to operating a boat while under the influence  -- Republican Delegate Don Dwyer.

Dwyer is now facing fifteen charges including a DWI, speeding, and reckless driving. Serious charges for anyone -- but especially for an elected official who's still two-months away from his sentencing in last summer's boating accident.  

"I've known for quite a while that this was probably in the cards for him," said Mark Harbin who was on his boat right outside his dock last summer when Delegate Don Dwyer crashed into him with his boat named the Legislator.  Seven people - including Mark and four children - were injured and taken to the hospital.

"He's never spoken to my family.  Never said he was sorry...I'm mad at anybody that does the things he does."

Dwyer plead guilty to boating while intoxicated back in May. But now - just three months later - he's accused of driving while intoxicated on Route 100 in Pasedena around one this morning.  

"This vehicle was a Cadillac DeVille that was swerving literally across two and three lanes at a time, also on the shoulder and back.  This continued numerous times," said Police.

Anne Arundel County Police say the delegate was a clear danger to the community so officers pulled him over.

"They smelled the odor of alcohol emanating from the driver.  That coupled with slow, slurred speech and red eyes was certainly suspicious," said Police.

Dwyer refused a breathalyzer but police say he failed three field sobriety tests. Now, his republican colleagues in the house are urging him to seek treatment.

Delegate Ron George is even calling for his resignation. He says, "We are held to a higher standard.  And his constituents deserve good leadership."

So far, Dwyer has not released any statement about the incident. But according to the police report, he told officers that he'd only had two beers.

Most Watched Videos