LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 11pm    Watch

Man found guilty of robbery near Takoma Park Metro

10:48 PM, Aug 14, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +
Daquan Tyler

(WUSA9) -- Tuesday, a man was found guilty  of three counts of robbery with a dangerous weapon and other charges, including witness intimidation, for a robbery near the Takoma Park Metro station.

The Montgomery County State's Attorney's Office says Daquan Lee Tyler was found guilty of three counts of Robbery With a Dangerous Weapon, Use of a Handgun in the Commission of a Crime of Violence, First Degree Assault each and one count of Solicitation of Witness Intimidation. 

Officials say Tyler wrote on the back of his charging documents to tell his co-defendant, a known member of the Maple Avenue Crew, to stop another co-defendant from testifying. Officials say his demand "was corroborated with jailhouse recorded audio."

State's Attorney for Montgomery County John J. Mc Carthy says that Tyler faces 75 years in prison for the robbery on New Year's Day.

Authorities say three people were robbed of their wallets and phones that day by two masked males with black handguns with red laser scopes on them. Two of the victims' credit cards were used at a Redbox DVD machine at a 7-Eleven in Silver Spring and at a 7-Eleven in Wheaton about an hour after the robbery, say authorities.

A search of Tyler's house related to a different case in February turned up two video games, one of which came from the Redbox machine on Jan. 1, say authorities.

Tyler's co-defendant Joshua Baylor later implicated himself, Tyler and Kyree Jordan in the robbery when he told police he was the lookout while Jordan and Tyler had guns. Baylor also told officers that Tyler had come up with the idea and told him about the gun right before the robbery, say authorities. Officers found a loaded, operable black revolver with a red laser scope in a dog house in the backyard of Tyler's house, according to authorities.

Kyree Jordan was arrested in May in Takoma Park during  atraffic stop. Police found a loaded revolver under his car and a phone inside the car. The phone had a photo of a letter and Tyler's charging documents, say authorities. According to authorities, the letter was asking Jordan to stop Baylor from testifying. Phone calls played in court later proved Tyler tried to get Jordan to intimidate Baylor.

Jordan also pleaded guilty on Tuesday and was sentenced to 15 years with all but 5 years suspended. He will have to serve 5 years of probation.

Baylor pleaded guilty in July and has a sentencing set for September.

Most Watched Videos