WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- U.S. News & World Report released its Best Hospitals rankings for 2013-14 on Tuesday. You can search the entire list by specialization and location here: http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals.
The list recognizes hospitals that excel in treating patients. Johns Hopkins Hospital reclaimed the #1 spot on the Honor Roll. The hospital held from 1991 through 2011, according to U.S. News. Massachusetts General Hospital ranked secondand Mayo Clinic ranked third this year.
U.S. News ranks up to 50 hospitals in each of 16 medical specialties. Only 147 out of nearly 5,000 U.S. hospitals earned national ranking in one or more of the specialties, including:
• University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston: #1 in cancer
• Cleveland Clinic: #1 in cardiology & heart surgery
• Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore: #1 in neurology & neurosurgery
• Hospital for Special Surgery, New York: #1 in orthopedics
In a statement released on Tuesday on the hospital's website, Paul B. Rothman, M.D., dean of the medical faculty and CEO of Johns Hopkins Medicine, and Ronald R. Peterson, president of The Johns Hopkins Hospital and Health System and executive vice president of Johns Hopkins Medicine said:
"The Johns Hopkins Hospital will always be the hospital ranked #1 for 21 years in a row thanks to you, the people of Johns Hopkins Medicine... Given the competitive, rapidly changing health care environment and the realization that U.S. News evaluated more than 4,806 hospitals, we hope you share our incredible pride in achieving this top-tier ranking among the best hospitals in the United States."
U.S. News also broke down regional rankings. Here are the rankings for the D.C. area:
- Inova Fairfax Hospital - Falls Church, Va.
- MedStar Washington Hospital Center - Washington, DC
- MedStar National Rehabilitation Center - Washington, DC
- Holy Cross Hospital - Silver Spring, Md.
- Medstar Georgetown University Hospital - Washington, DC
- Inova Alexandria Hospital - Alexandria, Va.
- Inova Loudoun Hospital - Leesburg, Va.
- Mary Washington Hospital -Fredericksburg, Va.
- Washington Adventist Hospital - Takoma Park, Md.
- George Washington University Hospital - Washington, DC
To see other DC area hospitals and how they rank, click here: http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/area/washington-dc