CAMPUS CORREPONDENTS SCHOLARHIP CONTEST
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES 2013-2014
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR TO WIN. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR ODDS OF WINNING. ALL FEDERAL, STATE, LOCAL AND MUNICIPAL LAWS AND REGULATIONS APPLY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED.
2. Eligibility. The Campus Correspondents Scholarship Contest (the "Contest") is open to students who are WUSA-TV's 2013-2014 Campus Correspondents (the "Program") (collectively, "Contestants"). Employees of WUSA-TV (collectively, "Sponsors"), USATodayHighSchoolSports.com, Gannett Co., Inc., and each of their respective affiliated companies, subsidiaries, advertising or promotional agencies, and other agents, and the immediate family members of, and any persons domiciled with such employees, are not eligible.
3. Contest Period. The Contest period is 12:01 a.m. (E.S.T.) on August 30, 2013 to 11:59 p.m. on May 31, 2014. Pursuant to the Program the Contestants have submitted and may submit videos for broadcast by WUSA-TV during the Contest Period.
4. Judging. A qualified panel of judges, selected by Sponsor, will evaluate and judge the videos and performance of each Contestant according to the criteria on Exhibit A, attached here to. Judging will commence on or about June 2, 2014 and will be completed by June 23, 2014. Three winners will be selected based on total cumulative points. Total possible points is 100. In the event of a tie, tied entries will be re-judged on the same criteria listed in Exhibit A. Decisions of judges and Sponsor shall be final and binding in all respects.
5. Prizes and Odds. Three (3) winners (collectively, "Winners") will be selected to receive educational scholarships ("Prizes"), as follows: One (1) Grand Prize Winner will receive a scholarship award in the amount of Five Thousand Dollars ($5,000); one (1) Second Prize Winner will receive a scholarship award in the amount of Three Thousand Dollars ($3,000); and one (1) Third Prize Winner will receive a scholarship award in the amount of Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000). Scholarships may be applied to high school or college tuition. Odds of winning are 3:43. Contestants that will be enrolling in NCAA member institutions, NCAA Bylaws governing financial aid from outside sources and other NCAA rules apply. Winners are solely responsible for compliance with NCAA rules and restrictions.
7. Winner Notification and Acceptance.
Winners will be notified on or before June 9, 2014, via e-mail at the addresses provided by either their Program application or as provided to WUSA during the course of the Program. Winners will be invited to attend WUSA's award ceremony to be held prior to August 31, 2014 ("Ceremony"). The exact date, time, and location of the Ceremony will be provided to the Winners in advance. The First, Second and Third Prizes will be announced and awarded to the Winners at the Ceremony. Winners need not be present at the Ceremony to win and receive their Prizes. Winners understand and acknowledge that the Ceremony will be recorded by WUSA and taped portions will be televised on WUSA, and hereby consent to their appearance on such broadcast. Any Winner not attending the Ceremony will receive his/her Prize via UPS overnight delivery.
Winners may waive their right to receive prizes. Prizes are nonassignable and nontransferable. No substitutions allowed, except that prizes and individual components of prize packages are subject to availability and Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value. Winners are solely responsible for reporting and payment of any taxes on prizes. Winners will be required to complete an affidavit of eligibility, and a liability and publicity release (except where prohibited by law) which must be returned within the time period specified by Sponsor. Failure to sign and return the affidavit or release, or to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules, may result in a winner's disqualification, the forfeiture of his or her interest in the prize, and the award of the prize to an alternate winner. Except where prohibited, participation in the Contest constitutes entrant's consent to the publication of his or her name, biographical information and likeness in any media for any commercial or promotional purpose, without limitation or further compensation. Prizes not won and claimed by eligible winners in accordance with these Official Rules will not be awarded and will remain the property of Sponsor. For prize winners list (available after August 31, 2014), visit wusa9.com or send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to WUSA, 4100 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20016.
8. Participation. By participating, entrants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges. Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify persons found tampering with or otherwise abusing any aspect of this Contest as solely determined by Sponsor. In the event the Contest is compromised by tampering or other causes beyond the reasonable control of Sponsor which corrupts or impairs the administration, security, fairness or proper operation of the Contest, Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to suspend, modify or terminate the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated expiration date, Sponsor reserves the right to award prizes based on the entries received before the termination date.
9. Copyright. By entering the Contest, each contestant grants to Sponsor an exclusive, royalty-free and irrevocable right and license to publish, print, edit or otherwise use the Contestants' submitted Video, in whole or in part, for any purpose and in any manner or media (including, without limitation, the Internet) throughout the world in perpetuity, and to license others to do so, all without limitation or further compensation. Each Contestant further agrees that if his/her entry is selected by Sponsor as the winning entry, he/she will sign any additional license or release that Sponsors may require, and will not publicly perform or display his or her submission without the express permission of Sponsors.
10. Limitations of Liability. By entering the Contest, entrant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with the Contest, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually without resort to any form of class action, and entrant waives his or her right to a jury trial for such disputes, claims, and causes of action; (2) any claims, judgments and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering the Contest, but in no event attorneys' fees; and (3) under no circumstances will any entrant be permitted to obtain any award for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental or consequential damages and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased and any other damages, other than damages for actual out-of-pocket expenses.
11. Construction. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of any contestant and Sponsor, shall be governed by, and construed in accordance with the laws of the District of Columbia, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions (whether of District of Columbia, or any other jurisdiction) that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than District of Columbia. The invalidity or unenforceability of any provision of these rules shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision. If any such provision is determined to be invalid or otherwise unenforceable, these rules shall be construed in accordance with their terms as if the valid or enforceable provision was not contained therein.
12. General Release. By entering the Contest, contestants release WUSA, USATodayHighSchoolSports.com, Detroit Free Press, Inc., Gannett Co., Inc., , any other promotional sponsors, and each of their respective affiliated companies, directors, officers, employees, representatives, partners and agents from any liability whatsoever for any claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages of any kind arising out of or in connection with the Contest or with the acceptance, possession or use of any prize (including, without limitation, claims, costs, injuries, losses or damages related to personal injuries, death, damage to, loss or destruction of property, rights of publicity or privacy, defamation or portrayal in a false light).
13. Sponsor. The Campus Correspondents Scholarship Contest is sponsored by WUSA whose decisions regarding the selection of winners and all other aspects of the Contest shall be final and binding in all respects. Sponsors will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the Contest. If you have any questions regarding this Contest, please contact Khalim Piankhi, WUSA, 4100 Wisconsin Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C. 20016.
-Number of clips submitted:
10 Pts. ____
-Improvement of video quality based on feedback from WUSA:
15 Pts. _____
-Number of clips used for the Play of the Day:
30 Pts. ___
-Enthusiasm (how often student e-mail/call in scores on Friday and Saturday night):
10 Pts. ____
-Students submitted film highlights and film interviews with athletes or coaches for the Reflections stories we do:
10 Pts. ____
-Participation in the program (Did the student reach out with questions/follow-up with WUSA about their performance?):
5 Pts. _____
-General quality of video (Overall, by the end of the season, was the student close to the sports department's definition of an ideal highlight clip: one that follows the play from start to finish, has padding of crowd reaction/team reaction, is steady and clear (considering the limits of the Flip Cam):
20 Pts. ______