ANNAPOLIS, Md. (WUSA9) -- Three football players at the U.S. Naval Academy could soon face sex assault charges. The academy's superintendent has decided to send the case to Article 32 proceedings, the military equivalent of a preliminary hearing or a grand jury investigation.
Monday's announcement came the same day the victim spoke out in an exclusive CBS interview. She admits to drinking heavily even blacking out the night of an off campus party in April 2012. But she says she awoke to bruises on her body and a buzz on social media. She tells CBS News her fellow midshipmen were talking about the alleged gang rape on facebook and twitter. She says one of the 3 football players, whom she knows, tweeted she was easy and did not put up a fight. She says he even bragged to her face.
She visited a doctor the next day but refused a rape kit, now saying she was in denial. She officially made her report 8 months later after confiding in her mother over Christmas break.
The 20-year-old, 3rd year midshipmen remains on campus and is committed to graduating next year.
"This has been my dream for a long time," she said, "I'm not gonna let this assault define me or change who I am or what I wanted to do. The military's not perfect. The academy's not perfect. These are obviously some serious situations that need to be addressed. But I haven't lost hope."
According to the Pentagon, sexual assaults in the military are on the rise with a reported 26,000 reported cases last year up from 19,600 in 2010.