(USA TODAY) -- A funeral home director is scrambling to find a cemetery that will bury a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings, ignoring protesters gathered outside his business and saying everybody deserves a dignified burial service no matter the circumstances of his or her death.
Boston Marathon bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev died from bullet wounds to his torso and extremities and blunt trauma to his head and body, Peter Stefan, owner of Graham, Putnam, and Mahoney Funeral Parlor, said Friday as he read details of the death certificate.
Tsarnaev, 26, was pronounced dead at 1:35 a.m. ET on April 19, four days after the twin bombings that killed four and wounded 264 others. He was shot during a gun battle with police in the Boston suburb of Watertown, then run over and dragged by his 19-year-old brother, Dzhokhar, as he fled in a stolen car.
A family spokeswoman said Tsarnaev's relatives have demanded his body undergo a second "independent" autopsy, CNN reported.
Stefan, the owner of the Worcester, Mass., funeral home where his body is being prepared for burial shared the certificate to reporters Friday, according to news reports.
Peter Stefan, funeral director and owner of Graham, Putnam and Mahoney Funeral Parlors in Worcester, Mass., sits in one of the facility's rooms on Friday.(Photo: Chris Christo, AP)
Earlier Stefan said everybody deserves a dignified burial service no matter the circumstances of their death and he is prepared for protests. He added that arrangements have yet to be worked out.
Protesters gathered and chanted, "USA," outside the mortuary. One sign read, "He should not be buried on U.S. soil," the Boston Herald reported.
Thursday night, protesters showed up outside a North Attleborough funeral home where Tsarnaev's body was taken after its release by the state medical examiner. The body was later transferred to Stefan, who is familiar with Muslim burial rites.
"I'm not honoring a terrorist. I'm just burying a body," he told the Worcester Telegram.
An uncle, Ruslan Tsarni of Maryland, arrived Thursday to work with Stefan on the arrangements.
An attorney for Tsarnaev's widow, Katherine Russell, issued a statement earlier this week saying she would relinquish to his family her rights to his remains. Tsarni and Tamerlan's two sisters then obtained Tsarnaev's remains, The Boston Globe reported.
Earlier Friday, a law enforcement official told USA TODAY that an analysis of DNA obtained from pieces of the detonated explosives found no matches to Russell, her dead husband or his brother, who has been charged.
The official, who is not authorized to comment publicly, said the source of the DNA is "unknown,'' adding that it could belong to any one of a number of people, from the point of the bomb-component's manufacture and distribution to sale.
Authorities had taken a sample of DNA from Russell earlier in the week as investigators sought to learn more about the suspected bomber's activities during the time leading to the April 15 attacks and the days immediately following.
Meanwhile, a spokesman for the Justice Department issued a statement Friday telling residents of Dartmouth, Mass., that there would be searches at several locations in connection with the investigation into the marathon bombings.
"Residents should be advised that there is no threat to public safety." said spokeswoman Christina DiIorio-Sterling.
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev had a dorm room at the University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth. Three of his friends have been charged in connection with the alleged removal of evidence from the room on the night that the brothers' photographs were released by the FBI.
Also Friday, the university said it has asked U.S. Department of Education officials for guidance in releasing student records for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev and his three 19-year-old friends.
Federal law bars the release of such records unless the student consents, but UMass-Dartmouth Chancellor Divina Grosman asked the Education Department to make an exception.
Azamat Tazhayakov and Dias Kadyrbayev, both from Kazakhstan and in the U.S. on student visas, and Robel Phillipos, 19, of Cambridge, were charged Wednesday. The university said that it had suspended Tazhayakov, pending the outcome of the criminal charges, and that Kadyrbayev and Phillipos were not currently enrolled.
The Department of Homeland Security has ordered border agents to verify that all international students have valid U.S. student visas, according to an internal memorandum obtained Friday by the Associated Press.
Contributing: Michael Winter, Katharine Lackey; The Associated Press