SPRINGFIELD, Va. (WUSA9) -- Fairfax County fire officials say two people and their pets escaped unharmed from a fire after a pet alerted them Saturday morning.
Firefighters arrived at approximately 1:45 a.m. at the home in the 9300 block of Jenna Court, say authorities. They met heavy smoke and fire in the garage and the attic, according to authorities. Firefighters were able to put out the fire quickly, but there was approximately $45,000 worth of damage to the house, say authorities.
Authorities say two people and several family pets were home when the fire broke out but escaped and no one was injured.
The residents have been displaced, but declined Red Cross support, say officials.
Authorities say the fire was accidental, and caused by an electrical source in the attic.