Police: Shooting Of Stabbing Suspect In 2011 Ruled 'Lawful'

11:33 AM, Jan 3, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

TAKOMA PARK, Md. (WUSA) -- The police officer-involved shooting on December 10, 2011, involving Cpl. Keith Largent, was determined to be lawful by a Prince George's County grand jury, say Takoma Park Police Department authorities.

Takoma Park Police Department and Prince George's County Police Department worked on the case.

According to police, a man who was filling up his gas tank at a Sunoco gas station in the 6900 block of New Hampshire Avenue left to go inside the convenience mart. When he returned outside, he saw a man in his vehicle and yelled for the stranger to get out of his car. He also screamed for people to call the police.

Then, police say, the man confronted the stranger as he was getting out of the car. The stranger then demanded his property and car keys. The two men got into a confrontation and the car owner was stabbed multiple times.

The suspect then ran to his Ford Focus, got inside and then used his car to ram the victim's vehicle before driving  northbound on New Hampshire Avenue.

Police officers arrived at the scene and people there pointed them to a red car, which was the suspect's Ford Focus. Two officers then went after the car but lost sight of it. One officer later saw the car overturned at Riggs Road and Metzerot Road.  It appeared that the suspect had  struck three occupied vehicles before his car overturned. 

The officer saw the suspect fleeing and chased him down where she confronted him.  Police say she was forced to use her Taser, but it had no affect on the suspect. The suspect then charged at her and assaulted her. Another officer demanded the suspect stop and in fear of the life of his fellow officer, police say, he fired his weapon multiple times. The suspect fell off of the officer.

The suspect was transported to MedStar Washington Hospital Center where he was pronounced dead. 

The stabbing victim was also transported to MedStar Washington Hospital Center. He had surgery and remained in critical condition for some time. Police say "because of the life-saving efforts of all Takoma Park Police officers involved, the victim survived and physically recovered."

Most Watched Videos