- 3 lbs. high quality ripe tomatoes (vine ripened work well now, but in the summer, anything will do)
- ½ cup Sherry Vinegar
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil
- Sea Salt and a pepper mill
1. Take the tomatoes and score them on the bottom. On the top, take off the tough skin left from the stem.
2. Dip the scored tomatoes in boiling water for about 20 seconds, then dunk them into ice water. At this point peel back the skin and cut them in half. Place them in a casserole dish and allow them to be evenly spread out.
3. Season the halved and peeled tomatoes with sea salt, sherry vinegar and fresh basil. Alow to marinade like this for some time. (from 2-24 hours, depending how long you can wait.)
4. Puree the tomatoes in a blender while adding the olive oil slowly. Then strain the seeds out with a shinois.
5. Garnish with bacon and croutons.