WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- Forty three people have been transported after a carbon monoxide leak at 1324 Harvard Street, NW, DC.
DC Fire Spokesperson Pete Piringer says about 3:15 p.m. fire crews were called to the scene for the report of a sick person. When crews arrived, one of the fire crew members recognized this person and a couple of others were suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Units evaluated dozens of people at the three story drug treatment facility, Second Genesis. The building houses 36 residents and 10 staff members. Fourty three people were taken to three area hospitals. All the people had symptoms of CO exposure. Three people were classified as having serious but non life threatening injuries (CO poisoning). The remaining 40 people had lesser symptoms.
The department used three mass casualty buses to transport the patients. Patients were taken to Sibley, Howard University and Providence Hospitals.
According to Piringer, the source of the carbon monoxide appears to be either a water heater or the building's boiler. The incident remains under investigation.