LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 5am    Watch
 

Ingmar Guandique, Convicted Chandra Levy Murder, Sentenced To 60 years

5:34 PM, Feb 11, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Video: Chandra Levy Killer Sentenced To 60 Years

Ingmar Guandique (AP Photo)

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- Ingmar Guandique will be an old man -- or dead -- before he tastes freedom again.

A DC judge sentenced Chandra Levy's killer to sixty years in prison... despite Guandique's tearful insistence that he's innocent.

Ingmar Guandique cried. Chandra Levy's mother cried and cursed him. Emotion coursed through the courtroom as we finally saw a resolution to this case that brought down a congressman and has fascinated the country for nearly a decade.

Ingmar Guandique stood and put his hands to his eyes, shuddered three times, and then addressed Susan Levy and her family. "All I want to say is I am very sorry for what happened to your daughter, but I had nothing to do with it. I am innocent."

The judge, the jury, and most of all Susan Levy didn't buy it. Standing just a few feet from the 29 year old gang banger, she asked..."How could you take my daughter's life?" "Look me in the eyes and tell me, did you take her life?" Guandique shook his head and mouthed 'No." "Do you have a mother and sister, would you have done that to them?" Then a final parting epithet: "F*#@ you!" Mrs Levy told Guandique. 

"There is nothing surprising about a mother grieving her daughter. We never know how that effects people and what they're going to say," said prosecutor Fernando Campoamor.

Chandra Levy was having an affair with then Congressman Gary Condit when she disappeared on May Day, 2001. A year later, a man walking his dog found her skull in Rock Creek Park.

Guandique had been stalking and attacking women in the park.
But it took eight years to indict him. And nine years to convict him.

The judge called him "a predator," "a danger to women and a danger for a long time."

The judge expects he'll be prison until he's eighty, at the youngest. At that point, the judge hopes he will no longer be a threat... that he might finally be able to control his apparently uncontrollable urge to attack in the woods.

"Ingmar Guandique is a dangerous individual. But he will no longer be able to hurt anyone. And we're pleased with the sentence," said US Attorney Ronald Machen.

The judge denied defense attorneys' requests for a new trial.
They'd asked for the minimum 30 years, citing Guandique's low i-q and difficult upbringing in El Salvador.

The judge gave him the maximum under the sentencing guidelines. But not the maximum possible, which was life in prison without the possibility of parole.

Written by Bruce Leshan
9News Now & wusa9.com

Most Watched Videos