LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 5am    Watch
 

Ten Displaced By Fire Most Likely Sparked By Space Heater

2:14 AM, Dec 16, 2010   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ASPEN HILL, Md. (WUSA) -- The Red Cross is helping ten people find shelter following an overnight apartment fire.

The fire started around midnight Wednesday.  Flames damaged two apartments and smoke damaged a third at 2941 Hewitt Avenue.  

Montgomery County firefighters rescued some of the displaced residents from their balconies.  One resident was exposed to smoke while escaping the fire and taken to the hospital for treatment. 

Assistant Fire Chief Scott Graham tells 9NEWS NOW it appears the fire was started by a space heater placed too close to combustible materials.  He urges people who use space heaters to carefully follow the directions and keep them away from curtains, bedding and other items which could easily ignite.

 

 

Most Watched Videos