GAITHERSBURG, Md. (WUSA) -- About 60 people were forced out of their homes during one of the coldest nights of the year because their apartments lost heat and water.
Tuesday night, Montgomery County firefighters responded to a call for an electrical short at the Governor Square Apartments complex on Muddy Branch Road in Gaithersburg, Md. When they arrived, they found it was not an electrical issue but a "water issue." Montgomery County Fire & Rescue Battalion Chief Maurice Witt said the problem was with "a boiler pipe, coming in to heat the building."
OUT IN THE COLD: Fire forces out Prince George's County townhouse residents
The damage affected several apartments and required the water and electricity to be shut off to them. Because of the lack of water and electricity, the fire marshall was forced to condemn the building Tuesday night. "The residents have to find another place to sleep tonight," Witt said.
Ride On buses were brought to the apartment complex to keep people warm temporarily. Montgomery County Fire & Rescue was working with the apartment property managers to help displaced families find a warm place to stay.
The Governor Square Apartment complex has 18 units with an estimated 56 residents. It is located along Muddy Branch Road, about three miles southwest of Interstate 270.
Written by Dan Guzman
9NEWS NOW & wusa9.com