WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- The six students arrested for allegedly sexually assaulting another student at Dunbar High School will not be charged, according to DC Attorney General Peter Nickles. He did not disclose why prosecutors were not pursuing charges.
DC Police police said six male students were charged with first-degree sexual abuse after a 15-year-old girl said they raped her inside a school stairwell Monday, Nov. 22.
DCPS says the victim reported the incident when she got home from school Monday evening. They learned of the allegation Tuesday morning.
According to the police report, the victim told police she believed the attack was gang related. She said each boy raped her while a 7th boy grabbed her from behind "covering his hand over her mouth keeping her from screaming."
Ward 5 Council Member Harry Thomas, Jr. was outraged and called for a meeting with school leaders. He said violence has been a problem recently though police have stepped up patrols outside the school and that something drastic had to be done.
Thomas was perplexed when told Tuesday evening the charges had been dropped and called on Nickles to explain.
"You had young men whose lives were in the balance, a young lady who had some very serious charges leveled against them, so I think, for public trust and public comfort the Attorney General has an obligation to report what he can report to give as much clarity around this issue to the public," Thomas told 9NEWS NOW. "He has to be very clear as to what the grounds were for bringing charges or not bringing charges against anyone."
"Did DC Police act too quickly?" asked 9NEWS NOW.
"I think that's why the Attorney General has to shed light on this," Thomas said.
In a letter to parents this Monday, interim DC Schools Chancellor Kaya Henderson said security has been increased in and around the school. Henderson says officials are assessing security issues and considering whether other resources, such as security cameras, may be needed to guard against any such incidents in the future.
In an email to 9NEWS NOW Tuesday evening, DCPS' Assistant Press Secretary Safiya Jafari Simmons wrote, "Ensuring that our schools are safe is one of our highest priorities and we take seriously any threats to the safety of our students. DCPS remains committed to protecting our students and the presence or absence of criminal standards does not alter this focus."