Robin Thicke and Miley Cyrus perform at the MTV VMAs.
(Photo: Kevin Mazur, WireImage for MTV)
So Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber have a twerk track. Don't think for a second it'll be the last one.
Autocorrect functions may still try to change "twerk" to "tweak," but that'll probably change soon. In the wake of Cyrus' provocative/outrageous/disgusting/ridiculous/ troubling performance at Sunday night's MTV Video Music Awards, twerking has been trending like crazy, on social media and in news-site traffic data (for the best explanation of this phenomenon, read this mock op-ed from The Onion).
MORE: 'Twerk' by Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber released online
Dance crazes need records, and they need them fast. Fortunately, it's a simple matter to change the word "work" to "twerk." And - voila! - 10 instant twerk classics.
- Baby Twerkout - Jackie Wilson
- Lord Have Mercy on the Twerking Man - Don Williams
- Finest Twerk Song - R.E.M.
- Twerkin' at the Car Wash Blues - Jim Croce
- Twerkin' for a Livin' - Huey Lewis & the News
- Twerking My Way Back to You - Frankie Valli & the Four Season
- Twerking for the Weekend - Loverboy
- Twerking in a Coal Mine - Lee Dorsey/Devo
- Twerking Class Hero - John Lennon
- We Can Twerk It Out - The Beatles
Mind you, a few of these songs would need new rhythm tracks. And we're not sure we like the idea of a 63-year-old Huey Lewis twerking, or that we'll ever get that image out of our brains. Especially if he starts sticking his tongue out the way Cyrus does.