LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 5pm    Watch
 

Kareem Johnsonm Pleads Guilty To Attempted Kidnapping Of Ex-Girlfriend In Southeast DC

10:50 PM, Oct 22, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WASHINGTON (WUSA) -- A D.C. man has pleaded guilty to attempted kidnapping of his ex-girlfriend after attacking her earlier this year, U.S. Attorney Ronald C. Machen Jr. said on Monday.

On Sept. 27, Kareem Johnson approached the victim outside her apartment in Southeast D.C. although she had obtained a protective order against him. As of that date, there were two criminal cases pending against him for allegedly assaulting her and violating the protective order, according to government evidence. The protective order prohibited Kareem to stay away from the victim and her apartment.

Kareem then told the victim the wanted to converse in hope of having her drop the cases against him. She agreed to talk and allowed him up to her apartment. He became angry during the conversation, handcuffed her, and threw an electric fan at her hitting her in the head. He then started choking her with his belt until she became dizzy and almost passed out, the press released stated.

He proceeded to drag the victim into her bedroom using his belt and punched her in the face. She eventually managed to escape, ran out of the apartment but he gave chase. Kareem caught up with her, pulled out a knife, threatened her, grabbed her by the hair and dragged her back inside the apartment where held her against her will.

The press release states that witnesses saw the victim being dragged by the hair and heard the screaming. DC police were notified and barricaded the apartment building at about 4:40 p.m. Police didn't get an answer when they knocked and broke into the apartment at about 5:55 immediately arresting Kareem.

The victim was transported to the hospital to receive treatment.

Kareem now faces a maximum sentence of five years in prison, "although the District's voluntary sentencing guidelines call for a lesser sentence," the press release said.

The 37-year-old is scheduled to be sentenced on Dec. 18. The two charges for the earlier cases are to be dismissed during the sentencing due to a plea agreement, the U.S. Attorney's Office press release said.

Most Watched Videos