for 4 people - courtesy of Mussel Bar in Atlantic City
*For slaw, can be made in advance
- One quarter of a red cabbage, shredded
- One quarter of a green cabbage, shredded
- Half red bell pepper, sliced long
- Half red onion, sliced long
- 2 tsp chopped cilantro
- 2 TBSP mayonnaise
- Half tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 TBSP white wine vinegar
- Combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook off 10-12 strips of bacon. Applewood Smoked bacon preferred for more flavor, set aside.
- Take 4 soft shell crabs and season with salt and pepper. Dust with all purpose flour and sprinkle with Old Bay seasoning.
- In a Teflon pan, melt butter and olive oil together and add 3 sprigs of fresh thyme and 2 cloves of crushed garlic.
- Cook crabs top-side down first for approx. 3 minutes (until golden brown) and flip to cook other side.
- Toast 4 hamburger style buns and add cooked soft shell crab, sliced tomatoes, bacon and slaw.