Before you begin: Wash your hands, properly sanitize your cutting board, your work station, and sanitize your knife and equipment. Have your ingredients measured and ready to use.
Rockfish Fillet -- 8 oz
Brussels Sprouts -- 4-6 depending on size
Bacon (sliced) -- 3-4 strips
Yellow Onion (diced) -- 1/4 cup
Parmesan (shredded) -- 1/4 cup
Olive Oil -- 3 oz
Parsley (chopped) -- 1 oz
Salt & Pepper -- To Taste
- Remove the cores of the Brussels sprouts using a melon baller or pairing knife.
- Separate the leaves and reserve for later.
- Cook the bacon in a 400 degree oven for 10-15 minutes (depending on thickness)
- Allow the bacon to cool on paper towels to remove excess fat.
- Once cooled, cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
- Liberally season the rockfish on both sides with salt and pepper
- In a hot pan, add just enough olive oil to coat the bottom making sure the pan does not get overly hot
- (if the oil starts to smoke, it will give the fish an astringent flavor)
- Sear the fish on both sides until nicely caramelized and cooked throughout
- (5-7 minutes a side depending on thickness)
- In a separate pan sweat the onions in olive oil until translucent
- Add the bacon and Brussels sprouts.
- Sautee for about one minute making sure the bacon and onions do not
- Remove from heat and add the parsley, parmesan and salt and pepper.
- The heat from the sprouts will slightly melt the parmesan
- Place the fish on top of the sprout mixture, finish with a bit of olive oil and enjoy!