Salad Aux Lardons Recipe: (for 4)
- 3 T Ah love Terre de Provence olive oil
- 8 strips of bacon
- 1 head butter lettuce
- 1 shallot finely chopped
- 3/4 T 25-Star White Balsamic (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 tsp Ah love L'Epicurean Truffle Mustard (or Dijon)
- pinch of sea salt (Fleur de Sel is best) and cracked pepper
- 4 large organic eggs
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat.
- Lay strips of bacon in the pan and cook until crisp - 6-8 minutes.
- Set pan aside with bacon fat preserved. Do not allow to burn.
- Using a slotted spoon, move bacon to a large bowl.
- Add washed and dried lettuce to the bowl.
- In the pan, cook the shallot until softened; about 2 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Pour mixture over lettuce and bacon and toss. Divide salad onto 4 plates and set aside.
- In a medium size skillet, bring about 1 inch of water to a boil.
- Crack each egg into a small bowl and then slip them into the boiling water very carefully to prevent yolks from breaking. Cover the pan and poach the eggs just until yolks are set; this should take 4-5 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon, carefully remove eggs one at a time, gently shaking spoon to release water.
- Place egg over the salad.
- Top salad with ground pepper and shaved parmesan cheese.
• hint for poaching eggs: Boil water in a deep saucepan. Put a teaspoon of white vinegar in it. Put each egg in a ramekin. Gently tip the ramekin into the water allowing a bit of water into the ramekin; slowly slide the egg into the water. Allow to harden; remove gently with a slotted spoon.