WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- We're thinking spring now, despite the low temperatures. Matchbox food group chef, Daniel Watterson joined Mike Hydeck to prepare a healthy spring sampling.
Matchbox will have a revamped spring menu just in time for the warmer weather, and Chef Watterson demonstrated how to make cornbread panzenella salad, a perfect dish for warmer temperatures.
See the Recipe below for Cornbread Panzenella Salad.
INGREDIENTS: 1 cup cucumber diced
2 cups heirloom tomatoes (quartered)
1/4 red onion diced
1.5 cups cornbread croutons
3 tbs. red wine vinaigrette
1 cup frisee
2 cups arugula
1 tbs olive oil
2 oz. goat cheese
1 lb. cooked cornbread (homemade or store bought)
3 tbs. olive oil.
1. Mix cucumber, tomatoes, red onion and cornbread croutons. Toss in vinaigrette
2. Plate the cucumber/ tomato mixture
3. In a separate bowl mix the arugula, frisee, olive oil, salt and pepper
4. Mound the greens on top of the cucumber/ tomato mixture
5. Crumble the goat cheese on top of each salad.
1. Cut cornbread into 1 in. cubed size pieces.
2. Drizzle olive oil, salt & pepper on croutons.
3. Bake in a 350 oven for 10 minutes or until lightly brown and crispy.
4. Allow to cool.