LIVE VIDEO: WUSA 9 at 5pm    Watch
 

Axe Body Spray Sparks "Life-Threatening" Allergic Reaction

1:41 PM, Mar 21, 2013   |    comments
PHOTO: Michael Buckner/Getty Images
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

BETHELEM, Pa. (CBS NEWS) An eastern Pennsylvania teenager whose allergic reaction to Axe Body Spray prompted officials at his high school to ask students to stop using the fragrance is now being taught at home.

Freedom High School in Bethlehem this week asked students to stop using Axe as a cologne or fragrance due to a student's allergic reaction.

"The purpose of this posting is to make all parents, staff and students aware of a medical issue involving a Freedom High School student having an extreme allergy to Axe Body Spray. This allergy is potentially life threatening for this student," read a statement on the school's website. "My request to all Freedom Family members is that we take into consideration this student's allergy to Axe Body Spray and refrain from using it as your cologne or fragrance of choice while attending Freedom High School."

On Wednesday, Rosa Silk told WFMZ-TV the student who suffered the reaction was her son, 15-year-old Brandon Silk. In the span of nine days, the family says his throat closed up three times after breathing in the smell, and he had to be rushed to the hospital.

"I started feeling like my throat close up and then hives breaking out on my arm," the freshman told WFMZ-TV.

A nurse reportedly had to use an EpiPen on him before he was transported to the hospital for the latest incident. The station added he's been treated for this allergy since 2011, and is taking several kinds of steroids for treatment. For now, he's being taught at home to reduce his exposure.

Unilever, which makes Axe, says it is looking into the report. The company says in a statement that the safety and well-being of users "is always our first priority" and consumers with concerns should call the toll-free number on the back of the package.

Allergies to fragrances can cause sneezing, runny nose, watery eyes, headaches, inability to concentrate, dizziness, breathing difficulties, wheezing, and skin reactions such as itching, hives, and rashes, according to WebMD.

Most Watched Videos