A Business License Is important Insurance

5:46 PM, Apr 12, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

WASHINGTON, DC (WUSA) -- The business card claims the home improvement contractor is licensed and insured. 

What does that mean?  How do you check out a company before you sign on the dotted line?

A license to do business as a home improvement contractor is required in Maryland, the District of Columbia and Virginia. 

While the licensing requirements vary, there are some common threads.  For example, in all three jurisdictions, home improvement contractors are required to pay an assessment fe which goes into a fund.

The fund is can be used to compensate homeowners if they have used a licensed contractor and the work was not completed or was not properly performed.

To apply for relief due to an incomplete or improper home improvement job, you must have used a contractor who is licensed to do business int hat area.

It is very important that you make sure the home improvement contractor is licensed and we have made the job easier for you.

Contractor Licensing

District of Columbia Business License Verification 

District of Columbia Consumer Protection 

Maryland Home Improvement Public Query 

Virginia Board For Contractors

File A Complaint Against A Contractor

District of Columbia OAG Consumer Complaint Form

Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation 

Virginia DPOR Consumer Resources 

You can think of the guaranty fund as a warranty or bond that provides some protection against contractors who don't fulfill their obligations. 

However, filing a claim doesn't guarantee that you will recieve compensation. 

Distict of Columbia OAG consumer Complaint Form 

Maryland DLLR's Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing 

Virginia DPOR Recovery Funds 

What Are the Insurance Requirements For Home Improvement Contractors?

Depending on the size of the company, most businesses are required to carry workman's compensation in case an employee is injured on the job.

Insurance requirements vary by locality, but some areas require personal liability and property damage coverage. Ask for current insurance certificates.

District of Columbia What You Should Know About Hiring Home Improvement Contractors 

Maryland DLLR's Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing 

Virginia DPOR Consumer Resources

And, WUSA 9 Call For Action can't say it enough, the best way to protect yourself is to check the company's references.   It will help you avoid a bigger and more costlier problem, later.

And if you've go a consumer problem, WUSA 9 has formed an exciting new partnership that is all about helping you solve them.

So, contact our WUSA 9 Call For Action team.  You can file a complaint online 24 hours a day at wusa9.com, just click on the Call For Action link a the top of the page.

Or you can call the hotline at 301-652-HELP (4357).

Written by
Shirley Rooker
WUSA 9 Call For Action

Most Watched Videos