ALEXANDRIA, Va. (WUSA9) -- Officials say an apartment fire that displaced a family of four has been ruled accidental.
It happened Jan. 2 at 10 a.m. at 8201 Russell Road in Alexandria, Va.
Officials say firefighters encountered smoke coming from the third floor of the apartment upon arrival and quickly brought the fire in the kitchen under control.
No one was home when the fire broke out and the Red Cross is assisting the occupants -- two adults and two children.
Damage is estimated at $60,000 and unattended food on the stove caused the fire.