SILVER SPIRNG, Md. (WUSA9) -- Bus pad construction will lead to a series of weekend lane closures on Georgia Avenue in downtown Silver Spring.
Starting this weekend, crews will work on the road surface in front of a bus stop as part of an ongoing $3.6 million safety and resurfacing project on Georgia Avenue in downtown Silver Spring between Eastern Avenue and 16th Street.
Officials expect the work, which requires the surface to be big enough to support heavy vehicles without damaging the road, to be complete in late fall.
Officials say crews will close lanes on either northbound or southbound Georgia Avenue based on the following schedule:
• Two lanes between Friday at 9 p.m. and Saturday at noon
• One lane between noon Saturday and Monday at 5 a.m.
Officials say crews "will sequentially construct one bus pad per weekend on Georgia Avenue from Spring Street to Colesville Road" at each of the following locations:
• Northbound Georgia Avenue at Spring Street
• Northbound Georgia Avenue at Cameron Street
• Southbound Georgia Avenue at Spring Street
• Southbound Georgia Avenue at Cameron Street
• Southbound Georgia Avenue at King Street
• Northbound Georgia Avenue at Colesville Road
Pedestrians will also need to pay attention to the closures and construction. In some cases, pedestrians may need to cross over to the opposite side of the street.
Street parking will also be limited.