Not a surprise, but the Miami Dolphins formally placed offensive lineman Jonathan Martin on the non-football illness list.
(Photo: Kirby Lee, USA TODAY Sports)
What has seemed obvious for a month now is official: Jonathan Martin won't play for the Miami Dolphins again this season.
The Dolphins moved Martin to the non-football illness list Saturday, according to the NFL transactions wire.
Martin hasn't been with the team since Oct. 28, when he left after a cafeteria prank and sought treatment for undisclosed mental health issues.
Putting him on the NFI list frees up a roster spot for the Dolphins. It wasn't immediately clear whether the team will keep paying Martin's salary, as they had since his departure.
An investigation by an NFL-appointed attorney continues into issues of workplace safety with the team.
Dolphins: Staying afloat amid controversy
The roster move comes a day after the Dolphins put Richie Incognito back on the payroll. Whether he plays for them again still remains to be seen.
Incognito agreed to delay his expedited grievance hearing last week after cutting a deal that cut his financial loss to a maximum of two game checks, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports on Friday night.
In exchange, Incognito agreed to let his suspension last up to six weeks, rather than the maximum four afforded under the collective-bargaining agreement, according to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to speak on the agreement.
That delays the Dolphins' decision on Incognito's future from Tuesday, Dec. 2 to Dec. 16, allowing attorney Ted Wells time to complete his NFL-backed investigation.
NFL Players Association salary records currently list Incognito's salary as $3,529,412 -- 15/17ths of his $4 million base salary.
Incognito was suspended and Dolphins owner Stephen Ross asked the league for help after representatives Martin turned over evidence Nov. 3 over alleged abuse of Martin by Incognito and others.
A person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports the NFLPA is conducting its own investigation.