President Obama pauses while speaking during the memorial service for late South African president Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg on Dec. 10.
(Photo: Brendan Smialowski, AFP/Getty Images)
Tens of thousands of world leaders, family members, friends and mourners crowded into FNB Stadium in Johannesburg in the cold rain Tuesday to pay tribute to South Africa's anti-apartheid icon Nelson Mandela.
Here are some quotes from the memorial service:
• "Nothing he achieved was inevitable. In the arc of his life, we see a man who earned his place in history through struggle and shrewdness, persistence and faith. He tells us what's possible not just in the pages of dusty history books, but in our own lives as well." - President Obama
• "His life was just an extraordinary journey, from beginning to end, with such an effect, both on his own country, and on the rest of the world. So, enjoy today, enjoy and celebrate what he achieved. We may not see his like again." - former British prime minister Gordon Brown
• "Mr. Mandela was the pride of the African people. He has dedicated his entire life to the development and progress of the African content." - Chinese Vice President Li Yuanchao
• "To him, life was all about service to others. He mingled with kings, queens and presidents. ... At the core, he was a man of the people." - family member Gen. Thanduxolo Mandela
• "Mr. Mandela was more than one of the greatest pillars of our time. He was one of our greatest teachers. He taught by example. He sacrificed so much ... for freedom and equality, for democracy and justice." - United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki Moon
• "As Mandela's life teaches us, only the concerted effort of all nations will empower humanity to respond to the enormous challenges that today threatens its very existence." - Cuban President Raúl Castro