Chris Brown arrested in DC; Trey Songz yells at US Marshals

4:52 PM, Oct 28, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Photo Gallery: Chris Brown exits courthouse

Photo Gallery: Chris Brown's family arrives in court

Photo Gallery: Chris Brown through the years

Video: THE LIST: Chris Brown's Past Legal Issues

  • "@chrisbrown supporters outside DC courthouse" @BruceLeshan on Twitter

WASHINGTON (WUSA9) -- Singer Chris Brown, appearing in court in D.C. on Monday for arraignment on a charge of felony assault, had his charge reduced to a misdemeanor. Brown's bodyguard faces the same charge for an incident that happened on Sunday night.

The courtroom at D.C. Superior Court was packed before the arraignment on Monday. The lawyer for Brown's bodyguard said it could be 5:30 p.m. before the judge called for the case. A marshal later said Brown was expected in front of a judge at approximately 3 p.m. Brown wouldn't walk out of the court house until about 6:30 p.m.

As people waited for the arraignment, there were some confrontations. We're told that at least six members of Chris Brown's family were initially not able to enter the courtroom.  Members of Chris Brown's entourage argued loudly with police officers after they were ordered back into the hall of the court house.

Singer Trey Songz, who performed at Howard University on Saturday, also appeared outside the court, and according to WUSA 9's Bruce Leshan, yelled at U.S. Marshals to let him inside the courtroom. Extra U.S. Marshals then entered the hallway.

The judge asked for a bigger courtroom for the overflow crowd and Chris Brown's lawyer intervened with the marshals to get the family members in the courtroom.

The 24-year-old Virginia native spent Sunday night in jail after he was accused of punching 20-year-old Parker Isaac Adams of Beltsville. The assault happened outside the W Hotel at K and 15th streets at approximately 4:25 a.m. after an after party, say police.

Brown was in town for an appearance at The Park nightclub, according to the police report. Brown and his 34-year-old bodyguard, Chris Hollosy, agreed to take a picture with a fan. According to the police report, the victim tried to jump in the picture before Hollosy and Brown both punched the victim.

They retreated to their tour bus but stayed on the scene, according to the police report.

The victim was treated and released from the hospital after suffering injuries to his face, say police.

The Washington Post reports that Brown's camp denies the story about taking a photo. Instead, the camp says the victim tried following two women on the tour bus and that led to the fight.

Brown was already on probation because of the 2009 assault on his then-girlfriend Rihanna. After the 2009 assault, there were some other incidents with some other stars, including Drake. He had his probation reinstated in early August after he was involved in an alleged hit-and-run accident. He recently reached a civil compromise with the driver of the car.

Brown's next court date in D.C. is November 25. If convicted of the misdemeanor, he could face six months in jail.

Most Watched Videos