Three Dead In Olney Crash

10:54 PM, May 16, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

OLNEY, Md. (WUSA) -- Kevin Coffay, 20, faces 11 years behind bars after fleeing from a crash that killed his 3 friends.  A fourth friend was injured, as was Coffay, the driver.

Montgomery County Police say all five were inside a Toyota Corolla that ran off the side of Olney Laytonsville Road, also known as Route 108.

The impact of the crash was so intense it embedded a piece of the car into a tree. In the woods nearby lay the shattered wreckage of three young lives and signs of the desperate effort to save them.

The surviving passenger, 19-year-old Charles Nardella, told police Coffay attended two parties before the crash.  Nardella also told police Coffay took off running into the woods shortly after the wreck.  He was arrested 3 hours later after a friend apparently gave him a ride home.  Police said he smelled of alcohol and his eyes were bloodshot.

Magruder High School in Rockville was a common bond between everyone in the car. Among those killed in the crash: a current student and two recent graduates.

"It hits you in the face when you see the tree and everything. It just hurts so bad," said Emma Geisser, a Magruder student.

Among the dead: 18-year-old Haeley McGuire of Rockville, just days away from her Magruder High School graduation.

"It was only a week away. It's crazy. Nobody ever thinks that kind of thing would happen to them," said Lindsey Flint, a Magruder student.

"It's unsettling because you see people all the time around the school, and you wake up, and you always expect them to be there and they're not," said Laurel Humphress, also a Magruder student.

Spencer Datt, 18, of Derwood was a front seat passenger. He died at the scene. Also killed was 20-year-old John Hoover of Rockville.

"I'm glad I made it through my teenage years. Because there were times when I was out here driving. By the grace of God, I made it," said Olney resident, Jim Simmel, as he surveyed the crash scene.

The pavement was wet when police arrived. The twisted wreckage was just off a dangerous curve in the road.

"I don't know if anyone will ever learn from this. Because the same stuff has always happened," said Emma Geisser.

Coffay, was held on a $500,000 bond, but his bond was reduced Monday to $50,000 after a court appearance via closed-circuit TV.  As of this article, bail has not been posted.

Monday evening, parents met at the high school to talk about the tragedy.  Laurie Smith said, "I hope we can work together to solve this problem."

Coffay faces four counts of felony hit and run.  Results of a blood alcohol test will determine if additional charges will be filed.

Written by Andrea McCarren and Delia Goncalves

Most Watched Videos