two-pepper chicken chili (ANDRE J. JACKSON/Detroit Free Press)
DETROIT (FREE PRESS) -- Super Bowl Sunday is getting close; are you ready? Chili is the perfect dish to serve for the big football game, and you won't want to miss this Two-Pepper Chicken Chili. It's got a kick!
Serves: 10 / Preparation time: 20 minutes Total time: 2 hours, 20 minutes Pureed beans and reserved bean liquid help thicken this chili. Adjust the chili powder to your own taste.
- 1 jar (48 ounces) Great Northern beans, undrained
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled, chopped
- 1 large white onion, peeled, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded if desired, chopped
- 1 poblano pepper, washed, seeded, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 heaping tablespoon hot New Mexico-style chili powder
- 3 tablespoons ancho chili powder or favorite chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- Garnish (optional)
- Sour cream
- Shredded cheese
- Sliced green onion
From and tested by Susan M. Selasky for the Free Press Test Kitchen
- Drain the beans, reserving the liquid. Set aside.
- In a larger stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon canola oil. Cut the chicken breast into 1/4- to 1/2-inch chunks and add to the pot and brown. Remove the chicken from the pot and set on plate. Pour off any liquid from the pot and return to the heat. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pot. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add the onion, celery, jalapeño and poblano peppers and sauté until softened.
- Sprinkle in the oregano, chili powders, cumin and black pepper. Sauté about 1 minute, just until the chili powders are fragrant. Return the chicken to the pot and add all but 1 cup of the beans. Stir to combine.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring the chili to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Place the reserved beans in a bowl and mash them with about 1/4 cup of the bean liquid. Add to the chili to thicken it. If it is still too thin, stir in more of the reserved bean liquid.
- Serve garnished with sour cream, cheese and green onion if desired.
. 337 calories (19% from fat), 7 grams fat (1 gram sat. fat), 36 grams carbohydrates, 34 grams protein, 426 mg sodium, 58 mg cholesterol, 9 grams fiber.