FALLS CHURCH, Va. (WUSA9) -- A barbecue grill that was too close to combustibles caused a fire in a detached carport that spread to a shed, and caused damage to homes and four cars, say fire investigators.
The fire happened on Sunday at approximately 11:05 a.m. in the 6700 block of Westcott Road in the Falls Church area, say fire officials.
Firefighters found heavy fire coming from a detached carport at the back of a single family home, say officials. They quickly extinguished the "fully involved carport and nearby shed," according to officials, but the intense heat caused vinyl siding of two nearby homes to melt and caused extensive damage to four vehicles. Officials say propane tanks inside the carport also ruptured.
No one was home at the time, say officials, and no one has been displaced.
The total damage from the fire is estimated at $45,000.