Carbon Monoxide Leak That Forced Evacuation Came From Boiler Room

8:45 AM, Oct 24, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

ALEXANDRIA, Va. (WUSA) -- Fire officials say the carbon monoxide leak that forced residents from their Alexandria apartment building Wednesday morning came from the boiler room. They also say the building did not have carbon monoxide alarms, but a resident had installed his own alarm in his unit and when it activated he called 911.

Several residents of the building in the Willow Run complex in the 900 block of North Van Dorn Street complained of symptoms related to carbon monoxide poisoning, say fire officials. Firefighters did find elevated carbon monoxide levels. The levels ranged from 45 ppm to 232 ppm in three apartments, say fire officials.

Two poople were evaluated but they refused to be taken to the hospital, according to officials.

The residents were allowed to go back inside their apartments after the building was ventilated, but fire marshals and the Department of Code Administration continue to investigate the incident.

Most Watched Videos