Onil Castro, left, Pedro Castro and Ariel Castro wait for their arraignment at Cleveland Municipal Court in Cleveland on Thursday.
(Photo: David Duprey, AP)
(USA Today) -- In an interview to be aired Monday, the brothers of the Ohio kidnapping and rape suspect tell CNN they were unaware of what police say was happening in their brother's home.
"If I knew, I would have reported it, brother or no brother," Pedro Castro told CNN's Michael Savage.
Ariel Castro, charged with rape and kidnapping, remains in jail under a suicide watch on $8 million bond while prosecutors weigh more charges, including some that might carry the death penalty.
Castro, 52, faces three counts of rape and four counts of kidnapping involving victims Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight. The three vanished between 2002 and 2004. Castro was also charged with kidnapping in connection with Berry's 6-year-old daughter, who was also found at the home. DNA test results confirmed Castro fathered the girl.
His two brothers, Pedro and Onil Castro, were detained last week after Ariel Castro was arrested, but police released the pair a few days later, saying there was no evidence that either brother - neither of whom lived at Ariel Castro's home - were involved in any crimes against the women or Berry's daughter.
The two men tell CNN they worry people will always believe they played a role in the crimes and say their friends cannot fathom them being involved.
"And the people out there that know me, they know that Onil Castro is not that person and has nothing to do with that. Would never even think of something like that," Onil said, referring to the allegations against his brother Ariel.
"I was a very liked person, individual. I've never had any enemies. No reason for anybody to think that I would ever do something like that. It's a shock to all my friends. They couldn't believe it," he added.
Both brothers say they are hiding in an undisclosed location after their homes were targeted and they received death threats online.