NORTH LAUREL, Md. (WUSA) -- Howard County officials say that shortly after 4:45 a.m. Tuesday, firefighters and paramedics responded to the 9700 block of Brevard Street in North Laurel for reports of carbon monoxide poisoning.
Crews found three people with elevated levels of carbon monoxide. All three were transferred to Shock Trauma. One male is in critical life-threatening condition and two females in serious condition, say officials. One of the females called 911.
Officials say a generator was found operating inside the home. at the bottom of the stairs on the ground floor in a doorway that opened and led to the garage. According to officials, the garage was closed, and prevented proper ventilation.
Officials say that firefighters found the amount of carbon monoxide in the home was more than 30 times the normal levels.
Firefighters used a piece of equipment called a "gas badge", which notified them of danger when they entered the home. Officials say the firefighters were "able to respond more effectively in identifying the symptoms" and "minimized their own risk of exposure."