Be part of a growing online news team organizing communities through WUSA9's network of local news websites. We are looking for a talented and creative person who is willing to be completely immersed in hyper local community news and activities in order to publish content and build successful websites.
• Report, write, select and publish original news and other stories to assigned station websites including www.wusa9.com.
• React to and post breaking news quickly and accurately and keep in constant communication with the stations news department.
• Develop a network of strong sources and follow news on social media and via news releases.
• Ensure consistency and accuracy of stories on the site and identify threats and opportunities in user generated content.
• Monitor newscasts, social media trends and other sources for news and distinguish newsworthy stories for for the site.
• Capture, edit and post still images and video to the site.
• Work autonomously and use individual judgment on content to post to sites.
• Other duties as assigned.
Requirements: BA/BS degree or equivalent preferred.
• Knowledge of search engine optimization (SEO) and keyword research.
• Understand the social media universe (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Foursquare, Spike, Instagram, RebelMouse and Vine).
• Demonstrate creativity and documented immersion in social media.
• Functional knowledge of content management systems (such as Wordpress, Blogger, etc)
• Experience with Photoshop and digital video editing is preferred.
• Must be self-directing, self-motivating and able to work well with a diverse group of people.
• Must be able to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
• Must be able to handle stress, including short deadlines.
• Must have excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
Qualified job candidates must be willing and able to travel (either by car and/or Metro) to various events in their community.
They must live and continue to reside in the Washington, DC metro area. Equipment will be provided to the producer.
Must be a deadline oriented writer, with excellent editing skills.
Excellent communication skills required, with an emphasis on working as a team. Knowledge of Metropolitan Washington is helpful.
We put a premium on personal integrity, teamwork, accountability, problem solving, a strong work ethic and winning.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!!!
Please send resumes by email to firstname.lastname@example.org