BRANDYWINE, Md. (WUSA9) -- Maryland State Police continue to investigate a multiple car wreck that shut down the 15000 block of Crain Highway in Brandywine at about 2:30 p.m. on Sunday.
Witnesses tell WUSA9 it all may have been the result of drag racing.
In total 11 people were taken to area hospitals in varying conditions. Some were airlifted while others were taken by ground.
Officials have released the names of the victims involved in this accident:
- Seth M. Nesbitt, 23 who was the driver of a Mercury Marauder
- Ian Z. Nesbitt, 17 was the passenger of the Mercury Marauder
- Franklin Kleinsorgen Jr., 69 was the driver of a Ford F-350
- Laraya Edwards, 36 was the driver of an Acura TL
- Doris A. Edwards, 68 was the driver of a Chevrolet SSR
- Akeelah Edwards, 6 was a passenger in the Chevrolet SSR
- Claude L. Jones Jr., 53 was the driver of a Dodge Dakota
- Lon P. Colbert, 55 was the passenger of the Dodge Dakota
- Joseph W. Bazemore II, 37 was the driver of a Ford Expedition
- Leslie T. Colbert, 33, Traon D. Colbert, 6, Jayden J. Colbert, 3, and Andre J. Colbert 7 were all passengers in the Ford Expedition
Lon Colbert who was hit but uninjured said about the crash, "It was traumatic. It's the worst thing I've ever been involved in."
MSP officials say a black Mercury Marauder was speeding on the northbound lanes of 301 when it crossed the median and slammed into on coming traffic causing a chain reaction wreck involving 5 cars. The southbound lanes where the wreck happened were shut down for hours causing back ups that stretched for miles.
As of this report, MSP says no one has been charged but charges are pending.